Chronicle of an Industrial Site
at Leipziger Strasse

Today: the Treuenbrietzen site of Kohl Group AG

1920

Founding of Gehre Dampfmesser GmbH. Max Gehre is considered a pioneer of calorimetric technology. Treuenbrietzen manufactures flow metres for gas, steam and liquids.

Compressor Manufacturing 1932
Compressor Manufacturing 1932

1933

This company declares bankruptcy. Dr. Böhme & Dr. Kroeber GmbH is founded with the same product line.

1935

Another bankruptcy. Refounded as "Dr. Kroeber & Sohn GmbH" with about 120 employees. The production range is expanded to include water level gauges, pressure gauges, small internal combustion engines and parts for the Brandenburg BMW engine plant.

View of the factory, 1950
View of the factory, 1950

1948

Expropriation by the East German government and reopening as the state-owned VEB Messgerätewerk Treuenbrietzen with about 160 employees. The pre-war production program is resumed.

Through 1957

About 300 employees. The production is expanded to include hydraulic controller blocks, temperature gauges, oil gap filters and water metering devices.

Through 1958

Becomes Unit 6 of VEB Geräte- und Reglerwerke Teltow.

1959 to 1966

The number of employees grows steadily to about 390 employees. The company is expanded. New buildings are added. Social facilities are built for staff members. The product range is extended with devices for plant construction such as pneumatic servomotors, shakers, pulse stimulators and power transducers.

1968 to 1975

The number of employees grows to about 450. The manufacturing technology is supplemented and updated. The product line is expanded to include Ursapond components, a new hydraulic controller block and the production of consumer thermostats and petrol-powered mowers.

Milling centre 1987
Milling centre 1987

1977 to 1987

The number of employees grows to about 645 employees. Treuenbrietzen takes over VEB Elektrowärme Belzig. The production range is extended to include the production of thermostats for automatic burners, signalling systems for the East German rails and WSSB Berlin, laboratory control transformers and traction magnets.

1986/1987

PZ80 vehicle equipment and track magnets for the rails transferred from the Teltow plant Production of approximately 8 million thermostats in 32 models. The first R400 lawn mower with rear discharge is produced.

1990

Spin-off from the VEB GRW Teltow and beginning of state trusteeship. Gerätewerk Treuenbrietzen GmbH founded December 1990 The state trustees signed off on a sale backdated to 1 July 1990 to Mr Wolfgang Ohrem of Cologne as the principal owner and Mr Volker Kempa, Michendorf. The entire range of products is affected by the loss of markets and was “put on trial”. New sales outlets are sought and new, targeted strategies are developed.

1991

Development of a new generation with of lawnmowers with electric and petrol engines Construction of a new production hall (Buildings 5, 22 and 24) with 8,200 square metres and centralized adminstrative offices in Building 4 The machining and thermostat press shops were converted into the "Technical Services" profit centre formed and began to focus on the supplier market.

1992

Founding of Stanztech Treuenbrietzen Blechformteile GmbH with Brüninghaus & Drissner from Hilden as co-owner; shift of VW small-part press from Braunschweig to Treuenbrietzen thus starting renewed focus on the automotive industry after former markets disappear. Shutdown of thermostat manufacturing. 320 people employed on site.

1993

The high level of performance is certified according to the DIN ISO 9001 quality standard.

1994

Focus of corporate strategy to 5 business sectors:

  • Stamping
  • Machining
  • Railway technology
  • Lawn mowers
  • Assembly of modules for the distribution of mail

1995

Production of Siemens high voltage technology spare parts moves from Wattenscheid to Treuenbrietzen Assembly of bread slicers for Rösen & Robbert.

1996

Cessation of lawn mower production due to low profits Spin-off of former divisions into separate companies (GmbHs). In addition to Stanztech, the following companies were founded: GTMB Metallteilfertigung GmbH (metal parts), GTB Bahntechnik GmbH (rail technology), GTSE Stromverteilungsanlagen GmbH (electricity distribution units), GTMF Güterverteilungsanlagen GmbH (freight distribution), Gerätewerk TBR Verwaltung (administration); 220 employees.

Investment in first welding robot and production of first welded assembly for VW; Stanztech becomes system supplier.

1998

Stanztech invests DM 950,000 on its first 400-tonne stamping and forming presses.

2001

The group reorganises for the future. The Kohl Group AG becomes a holding company with subsidiaries in Treuenbrietzen and Cologne. The sole shareholders are Wolfgang Ohrem and Volker Kempa.

2003

Production facilities expand by another 2,200 square meters, improvement of logistics and relocation of mechanical processing of a large power plant builder to GTMB in Treuenbrietzen. Rail technology moves to renovated Building 25. Stanztech invests €1.9 million on its first 630-tonne stamping and forming presses About 300 employees.

2006

Construction of a new production building (Building 13) for the GTMB mechanical processing with an area of ​​2,250 square meters. Modernization of the hall previously used for intermittent train safety systems for use by Stanztech toolmaking.

2006 to 2009

Further investment of approx. €12 million in CNC machine tools, 630-tonne stamping machines and welding robots.

2007

Another 750 square metres added to GTMB Building 13 after acquisition and integration of the Kaminski firm and its 15 employees.

2008 to 2009

The site is affected by the general economic crisis, with sales falling by up to 40%. Through successful crisis management in connection with the introduction of short-time work, the permanent staff is kept on and the crisis survived.

2010

Stanztech GmbH, Umform- und Fügetechnik Eisenach and Kohl Group Polska join forces to become the automotive division of the Kohl Group with a shared presence on the market.

2011

GTMB takes on complete turned part production for Siemens medium-voltage switches with 4 CNC lathes GTSE begins production of pipes for Siemens SE Berlin.

2012

Extension of GTMB Building 13 by another 1,034 square metres Manufacturing and warehouse space and 216 square metres staff social space. Upgraded heating system Installation of a 900 square meter clean room facility in Building 24 for the GTSE Siemens production 365 people employed on site.